Fields of Competence
- Storage Tank Management
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Environmental Compliance and Liability Assessments
- Tier II Reporting
- B.S., Business Administration, 1988
- Drexel University
- M.S., Technology Management, 1999
- University of Pennsylvania
School of Engineering and Applied Science/The Wharton School
At JD2, Ms. Hymes provides technical expertise in storage tank design, installation, and closure; hazardous waste management, and Tier II Reporting, as well as property transfer assessment programs.
Prior to the formation of JD2 in January 2002. Ms. Hymes held the position of Vice President at Lexicon Environmental Associates, Inc. Prior to Lexicon, Ms. Hymes was a Project Manager at Hart Environmental Management Corporation (formerly McLaren/Hart) where she was involved in risk assessments and environmental liability/compliance programs designed to evaluate the potential risks associated with facility operations and property transfers, as well as underground storage tank issues. Related experience includes Environmental Analyst with Environmental Resources Management, Inc.’s (ERM) subsidiary company (ERM-Tanknomics) which specialized in the development and implementation of underground storage tank engineering and management. She has also worked for other well known companies such as Hunter Environmental Services, Inc. and Sun Refining and Marketing Company. Ms. Hymes participated in establishing the ERM-Tanknomics, Hunter Environmental Services, Inc., Lexicon Environmental Associates, Inc., and JD2 Environmental, Inc. businesses.
Ms. Hymes has a total of 29 years of experience in all aspects of tank management programs from assessments and precision testing through on-site construction management and final documentation, as well as managing and conducting environmental liability assessments, managing Tier II and hazardous waste management programs.
Storage Tank Management
In addition to providing ongoing support for JD2’s multiple storage tank management projects, Ms. Hymes has served as the Project Director for the management of a multi-million dollar storage tank upgrade and replacement program for a major northeastern utilities company.
Ms. Hymes has served as Project/Client Manager in the development and implementation of site-specific new tank construction/tank closures for manufacturing, pharmaceutical, chemical, and consumer organizations with a cost range of $50,000 to 1.5 million.
Ms. Hymes formulated and distributed tank survey protocol and conducted operational analysis and regulatory review as part of a worldwide, multi-site tank management program for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer.
Hazardous Waste Management
Ms. Hymes has provided assistance with the management of hazardous waste with client and vendor personnel. Tasks include issuing manifest correction letters; Preparing EPA ID initial and subsequent notifications; Interfacing with regulatory personnel to resolve compliance issues; Reporting waste activities; Researching specific state regulations; Conducting state mandated compliance inspections and various related issues, as warranted.
Tier II Program Management
Ms. Hymes has managed Tier II reporting programs for commercial clients with facilities located throughout the United States. The programs include coordination of the overall program, management and implementation of the Tier II reporting forms, solicitation of site information, and preparation of agency submittals, as well as coordination with the client representatives.
Environmental Compliance and Liability Assessments
Ms. Hymes has been extensively involved with the development of compliance manuals. These manuals have been as specific as storage tank marking and color coding requirements on a state-by-state basis to addressing numerous complex issues facing fleet owners and operators. These manuals have been developed for utilities, car rental facilities, and various industries such as mining operations.
Ms. Hymes served as Project Director for environmental assessments of fourteen (14) cable manufacturing facilities located throughout the country. This project also included a presentation of findings to the purchasers of the facilities.
Ms. Hymes has managed and conducted environmental risk assessments at hundreds of facilities throughout the United States for property transfer (divestment and acquisition) and financing. These assessments have included numerous commercial and industrial properties; major battery manufacturing companies located in the East and Midwest; nationally known tire and automotive service centers; several psychiatric hospitals focusing on infectious waste handling and a major Eastern pharmaceutical facility.
- OSHA 40-Hr. and 8-Hr. Annual Refresher Health and Safety for Hazardous Waste Site Investigations
- Hazardous/Toxic Waste Management training in accordance with 40 CFR 262.34(a)(4) and 40 CFR 265.16
- Certificates for Completion received from Government Institutes, American Management Association, National Water Well Association, and other selected organizations in the areas of geology, tank management and project management.
- Lecturer, “Aboveground and Underground Storage Tank Permitting,” New Jersey Environmental Permitting Course, ABS Consulting (formerly Government Institutes), presented once a year.
- Lecturer, “Tier II Update: What You Need to Do to Stay Compliant,” Progressive Audio Conferences (2007, 2008).
- Hymes, Donna and Goldman, Robert, “Working With Environmental Consultants,” Environmental Law In Real Estate and Business Transactions, Volume 3, Chapter 23, Matthew Bender Publication (1994, 1995, 1996)
- Hymes, Donna, “What to Look for in an Effective Inspection and Maintenance Program,” Petroleum Equipment & Technology, March 1999, pg. 34.